Friday 1 June 2012

One Week Remains

Nearly a week until Howard Days. The days are being planned out, the town's getting ready for the influx, and I'm mentally preparing for the Third Scottish Invasion. Everyone have a gander over at REHupa's site for a rundown of the festivities: a tribute to Glenn Lord, of course; Charles Hoffman, Guest of Honor, talks "Conan the Existentialist"; Fists at the Icehouse (surely I can't be the only one who wants to see Gruber & Finn have a little scrap, even a mock one, just to add to the atmosphere?), Streetlamp Poetry... Man, it'll be fun.

... Wait a minute, I just noticed something...

2:30 Panel: Conan’s Birthday! A panel devoted to our favorite Cimmerian in honor of his 80th Birthday! Panelists will include Paul Sammon, Al Harron and others. At the Library.

Yes, I was very graciously invited to join a panel alongside the esteemed and erudite Paul Sammon and others (which others? We'll find out!) to talk about the man whose mirth and melancholy could hardly be described as minuscule. Naturally, discussion will be about the original Conan, but I think there'll be some talk about the wider Conan franchise to an extent, though my moratorium on the film will remain.

I can scarcely believe only three years after first setting foot in Cross Plains, that I would be one of the panelists at such an occassion. Will wonders never cease?

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you again, Al. And to hearing what you have to say on the panel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the panel's going to be very informal and discussion-oriented, and I'll likely be too awed to be at the same table as Howardom legends like Paul, but I'm looking forward to giving it my best shot. And, of course, it'll be great seeing and chatting with you again!

      Delete
  2. Hero of the Federation1 June 2012 at 07:21

    Saddle up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got conscripted, meself. So, we're on a panel together, aye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't ask for better shield-brothers!

      Delete
  4. Please, have the words "back story" and all anecdotes to bad movies banned from this panel.

    ReplyDelete